Monday, November 3, 2008

Back in York


I have spent the last few days out in the East Yorkshire countryside, visiting with a friend that I made at the meditation retreat. Marian was so kind to invite me for a couple of days to stay with her family, husband Brian and son Ben, in the small village Skerne outside of Driffield, a little town south east of York. It was such a nice visit, amazing to think how kind people are to invite strangers into their homes and share their ways of living. Marian is like my English mother, I hope some day she will be able to visit America and I can return the amazing hospitality. We spent the days walking around the village visiting some local churches that are almost 900 years old. I talked with some local Yorkshire folks, was invited in for many "hot drinks" or "cup'a". It is so damp and cold here that it makes sense the English either have a cup of tea of coffee in their had as often as possible. Another funny English terminology for the weather, "sunny spells" to describe when there might be glimpses of the sun, but of course there are really no sunny days here. If you see the sun it soon is covered up with a large passing rain cloud for a nice little shower.
The Picture
Last week the river even flooded out in front of Marilyn's house, it was quite surprising to find the ducks and geese right out front of her yard. But it is something, I'm told, that happens quite often. In fact the next day I was walking the dry path into town.

I am anticipating the election and hoping that I will be able to have up to date coverage. I think I'll be staying up all night on Tuesday, and of course the next day is the 5th of November Guy Fox(sp?) day here, I've been told there will be lots of fire works and bonfires in the streets and along the river, lets hope that the Americans abroad in England can also use the occasion to celebrate the "right" President being elected!
That's all the news for now from York,
I'll try and upload some pictures from my visit next time so look for those!

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Looks beautiful. I know you will make friends wherever you go! It's great to be able to "follow" you...
Sandy

Lynnie said...

Hi Sweet Maura! Miss you! But it's so good to hear of the people you're connecting with (of course!) And your photos are lovely but it sounds soggy and cold, too. When do you plan to go to France, Maddie wants to know? We just found out we have termites! Thought we would have to move out for a few and have the house tented--ugh--but we are going to have it "spot treated" instead. Cheaper, too. Went to Menlo Atherton H.S. 8th grade tour last night. God, they're so pushing college prep now it's crazy! Pressure nobody needs. Have more fun... Love you!!!! : >) Lynnie

Mi SHELL said...

Maura, wow... I really like your blog. How are you? How was that meditation retreat that you went on? Was it one of those crazy silent ones? Everything is about the same here in Santa Cruz. Sean Burns moved in, things are getting a little colder and the leaves are changing color. I am holding down your room and the big toe too, they miss you and will be ready for you when you return. I just want to say again that your hair chop was amazing, and that it really gave me a lot of inspiration. I hope that your adventures are all that you want them to be... and don't forget to send us a postcard
p.s. "Mary" from the river says hi.
Love
Michelle